Thursday, April 23, 2015

Introduction: The beginning of my journey

                                                  
   
Allow me to introduce myself, I am a 32 year old female trying to have a healthy baby for 19 months. I know that there are many of us trying to conceive, and many of us who just can't wait to see the positive pregnancy test, so I wanted to share my story. I decided to write this blog because I think it would make me feel better about my journey, take my mind off trying to conceive, put an end or a pause to all my googling, and hopefully help some women like me, feel better about their journey. I am going to try to be as detailed as possible since for me, the more details there are, the better.  I hope this blog helps you.
I must say, when my husband and I first decided that it was time for me to come off my birth control pills (I had been on the pill for about 12 years), that I did not think it was going to be easy getting pregnant. In my mind, it would take a couple of months, give or take about 5. I thought that was a reasonable time. I wasn't being too optimistic or too pessimistic. Five months would be a good amount time to wait for a pregnancy. In my mind, I started calculating due dates and where my husband and I would be in our lives by the time the baby came. I stopped my birth control in May. We started trying in June. I must say, that it was difficult to go to two weddings and not drink (not that I am a drinker at all, but at those weddings, I wanted to have a drink, especially so people would not speculate). So... at the beginning of July I took my first pregnancy test. It was negative. I did another one, then another, by this time it was almost August-no menses yet, and no positive pregnancy test. In September, I went to my gynecologist. He ran some tests, and nothing. Everything came back normal. No PCOS, nothing. At this time, since it had been 90 days and no menstruation, my gynecologist gave me progesterone for ten days, and told me to see if by inducing my cycle, I would ovulate on my own. He also said to keep trying on our own, and to come back in October if nothing happened. I got my period with the progesterone, but no pregnancy. I went back to my gynecologist who gave me progesterone again, but nothing. By this time, we were in mid November and my gyno prescribed me progesterone and Clomid (50mg) since I was not ovulating. He told us to have intercourse every other day starting the next day after the last Clomid pill. We were very good about this and we decided to have intercourse every other day for two weeks. On December 25th, I started spotting. I was upset because of it. On December 27th, I was still spotting, and out of no where, I decided to take a pregnancy test. To my surprise, the test had a very faint line next to the control line. I did not think much of this since I was spotting and the line was so light that I did not tell my husband until the next day when I took another pregnancy test and got the same result. He was sleeping, and I woke him up with the news. He was a bit skeptical and asked for me to go and get name brand tests from the nearest CVS. I came back and took two different tests. They both came back positive right away. At this point, we were both happy, but not so happy at the same time since I was spotting. He told me not to get super excited about the news until we confirm it with a sonogram. So on Monday, I called my endocrinologist (I take Synthroid for my thyroid, due to surgery after they had to remove half of my thyroid because of a nodule whose biopsy came back inconclusive) because I knew I had to increase my dosage whenever I became pregnant. For some reason, I did not mention my spotting. She told me to call my gyn to make an appointment. After five days from the first positive pregnancy test, I was still spotting, not a good sign. In the afternoon, when I used the restroom, I saw a small speck of blood in the toilet bowl, and I thought, did I have a miscarriage? That afternoon, I called the gyn and he told me to go to the ER so that they can check my blood type. While I was at the ER, they checked my blood type, and did some other tests. They decided to do an ultrasound, but there was no sac, nothing, but my beta was in the 900s. They checked my cervix and it was closed, which meant, I probably did not have a miscarriage. They told me that it could just be too early in the pregnancy to see anything, and to call and make an appointment on Monday to get another ultrasound and blood work. On Monday, I got another ultrasound, and nothing. The ultrasound was repeated again on Thursday, and so was my blood work. By this point, I was having some discomfort on my left side, but nothing serious. After the third ultrasound, they began telling me that I may have an ectopic pregnancy, and if I was in serious pain and bleeding heavily to go back to the ER. My beta was slowly decreasing also, so at this point, I just wanted everything to be sorted out. I quickly realized that in the end, my first pregnancy would not result in a healthy baby. That Saturday, my pain got worse. I went to the ER and they said that they needed to do surgery that my left tube did not look normal. I don't know if this has happened to anyone, but after 20 minutes in the ER, my pain started to dissipate, so when they talked about surgery I simply said, not tonight. I have to straighten things out at work before I can take a couple of days off for surgery. They kept me over night and sent me home the next day in the afternoon with a scheduled surgery three days later.  The day of surgery came. When I went in for surgery, I was under the impression that my left tube would be taken out. When I woke from surgery, I was pleasantly surprised that they did not have to remove my tube, it looked normal when they saw it. I still had my two tubes, I was elated! At the post surgery visit, I found out that they did not find any traces of an embryo in my dnc. The doctor called it a "pregnancy of unknown location." I still wonder what happened... Did I indeed have a miscarriage that Thursday, Jan. 2?

No comments:

Post a Comment